Sunday 27 March 2016

Thoughts



I have often thought about the desire for things we aren't born with. In our minds, we believe that there will always be someone smarter, prettier and funnier than we are. There are a thousand products available to alter our appearances and change the things we dislike about ourselves. I enjoy makeup, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I don't use an awful lot of it partly because I have no clue what I'm doing, but mostly because I don't want to. We spend an abundance of our time fussing over our physical appearance and how we can change it to be more desirable.



For years, I disliked the curve of my nose and my 'Hermione hair', but now I've come to embrace it. My friends reassured me that I have a 'Disney princess nose' like Belle's (and we all know how much I love Disney). And Frizzy hair? I don't care. I was frequently told how 'lovely' my 'thick' brown hair is, and I would reply with something along the lines of "Well, if you'd like to trade hair then that's fine, have fun trying to tame the wild beast". I always I used to envy girls with perfectly straight hair. Nowadays I have learnt to love my crazy, whirly hair. I still have my hair straightened occasionally, yet I am loving the 'natural look'.

'Is that really what my hair looks like from the back?'

I have learnt to love my 'imperfections' because chances are other people don't see myself the way I do. Self-esteem is much like a roller-coaster. Some roller-coasters have their good moments and not so good moments. One day we can wake up feeling ~flawless~ and the next day feeling like utter shit. It's time for people to acknowledge and embrace the parts of themselves they are displeased with. A good friend once told me to make my weaknesses my strengths, so nobody could use them against me. In some ways, that expression could be applied to anything. There is no greater power than to love yourself; including the parts of yourself you hate.

We cannot let others validate us- because to validate something means to accept it and acknowledge its value- and at the end of the day, self-validation is what is most important. We must accept ourselves for who we are and not try to be something or someone we are not. The only comparisons we should make are of our inner-selves. Who I was yesterday, who am I today and who can I be tomorrow. If we compare ourselves to ourselves then we can strive to be the best people we can be.


  
Wearing: Topshop top, Dotti jeans, Mimco pouch

What are your thoughts on this topic? Comment in the box below.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.